Friday, November 7, 2008

My first look at Japanese House for Lease

Today was an interesting day. I thought it was going to be uneventful. It ended up being quite the opposite. I woke up and took my now usual trip over to the housing list to get the newly updated list hot off the copier. Guess what? No new listings again today. I decided to wait and talk to my gracious housing counselor, Ms. Rinko. I'm glad I did!

Ms. Rinko very quickly assessed my situation and made some calls. She assured me that there would be more houses on the list next week. She called one realtor and found out that he might have a house I could look at if the currently scheduled appt. wasn't interested. She said she would let me know on Monday. I walked back to the hotel and grabbed Bryan and we went to the bank, the post office (Yeah! we received our first pieces of mail from Grandma Gay and Jerry Davis.), and to the commissary. When we returned the phone rang and Ms. Rinko said that the person who was supposed to look at the house cancelled and could I please meet the realtor at 3 p.m. at the main gate. I said, "YES, I'll be there!"

I put my groceries away and made me a sandwich for lunch, and the phone rang again! It was my lovely new friend Tina inviting me to ride along to Zama to see my pets!! We mosied on over there and I had a few minutes to see my Dolly and Mr. Jenks, who are REALLY getting tired of that kennel. Can't say I blame them.

Tina brought me back in time to grab my paperwork and dropped me off at the front gate with Bryan. Mr. Nago arrived promptly and took us to see the house! I was very excited. There is someone still living there that is retiring military. I believe it was a bachelor as it had guy stuff everywhere. But the house was very nice. It was large enough for all of us and had room for 2 cars. I was very impressed. There was also a 7-11 on the same block and a grocery store on the next block.

The only downside is that it is about 12-15 mins. driving from the base. In morning/afternoon traffic it is probably 22-25 mins. away. So, I'm not sure what to decide. I have to ask 3 or 4 questions. 1. Does the school bus route come close? 2. Can we get an American Oven? 3. Will my Queen Size box springs fit up the stairs? 4. Does it fit into our budget?

I meant to take a camera and forgot!! By American Standards it is small like a townhouse. However, it isn't too small. There's plenty of room for us to be comfortable there. I was especially glad to see that it had a patio off the kitchen long enough to have a couple chairs and a grill. Bryan could have a bicycle that would fit there too!

Well, after all of that excitement we arrived back at the lodge around 4 p.m. The housing office was closed by then, so I couldn't ask them questions today. It will have to wait until Monday.

Another surprise! My friend Laura, the teacher, her husband and son stopped to see us. They are a wonderful little family and I was grateful to meet them in person finally! The boys went bowling and they were there too. Michael was able to have someone to talk to for awhile.

Me, I am tired this evening and missing my wonderful husband. He's my support and I love him and can't wait for him to come home. Since I was feeling a little blue, I made some macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner and watched some t.v. Now It's time for some ZZZZZ's.

No comments: