Friday, December 5, 2008

Akihabara - Tokyo Electronics District

Brian went through his orientation this week. Since he was out to sea when Michael and I went to the classes, he had to wait until now. He had his field trip this past Thursday and I went with him. I was expecting tall, stuffy buildings full of electronics. It was closer to a New York City feel on the crowded streets with vendors everywhere, but inside the buildings. A lot of the buildings were a mish-mash of this and that. We did go into a few buildings that were more like a dept. store. We were disappointed that it wasn't a nicer area. We may have walked out the wrong entrance of the train station, we're not sure. I did find a couple of places that sold affordable souvenirs and was able to pick up a few things.

We ate at a place called "Beckers" and it was a good, americanized version of a hamburger restaurant with regular fries. I had a croissant with lettuce, chicken slices, cheese and some green stuff. It was good and we were ready to browse.

There were too many stores that had ADULT merchandise in them. Let's just say that Japan takes Anime (cartoons) to the EXTREME. Again, I was disappointed. I will have to find a Japanese Techie and ask them about Akihabara and hopefully we will be able to return and see the robots and the race cars that you see on tv.

No comments: